Blueberry Coconut Caramel Squares (Vegan, Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- For the Base
- Pecan nuts - 1 cup (120g)
- Desiccated coconut - 1/2 cup (40g)
- Almond meal or flour - 1/3 cup (40g)
- Coconut flour - 1/4 cup (30g)
- Coconut oil melted - 1/3 cup (80g)
- Honey or maple syrup for vegan-friendly option - 2 tbsp (40g)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Caramel Layer
- Pitted Medjool dates - 1 cup (220g)
- Nut butter of choice - 1/4 cup (60g)
- Coconut oil melted - 1/4 cup (55g)
- Boiling water - 2-3 tbsp (30 – 45ml)
- Pinch of pink Himalayan Rock Salt
- For the Blueberry Layer
- Macadamia Nut Butter - 1/2 cup (120g)
- Coconut oil melted - 3/4 cup (165g)
- Honey or maple syrup - 1/4 cup (80g)
- Frozen blueberries, thawed - 1 cup (155g)
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Full-fat coconut milk - 125ml (1/2 cup)
- Raspberry or other berry flavoured extract of choice - 1 tsp
- For Topping
- 50g (1/4 cup) 85 – 90% dark chocolate, melted
- Rose petals to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Line an 8 inch square, loose bottom baking tin with parchment paper and lightly grease with coconut oil.
- Blend nuts with coconut flour in your food processor to coarse crumb.
- Mix together all base ingredients.
- Press mixture into the prepared tin, pushing it up the sides just a little using your fingers.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on top, pour in baking beans and blind bake for 15 – 20 minutes; until lightly browned around the edges. Remove and allow to cool while you make the caramel.
- Blend dates in your food processor until you have a thick paste.
- Break up the paste before adding remainder of ingredients with the exception of the boiling water.
- You will have a thick paste which at this stage will seep some oil.
- Add 2 tbsp of boiling water and process to combine. You are looking for a smooth thick caramel consistency. Add 1 tbsp of water at a time until desired consistency is reached. It all depend on the dates used.
- Spread caramel into cooled base and place into the fridge while you make the topping.
- Blend together all ingredients in your food processor or high-speed blender. I prefer the high-speed blender for this layer!
- Once smooth and the caramel is firm to the touch pour the blueberry layer in on top and return to the fridge to firm up for at least four hours or overnight.
- Once set slice squares in the tin.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate once cut and sprinkle with dried rose petals. Store in a seal tight container in the fridge for up to five days or the freezer for up to one month.
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Michelle
Originally posted on: peachypalate.com