Buffalo Chili con Carne (Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- 1 1/2 cups dry organic red kidney beans, soaked for 12 hours, or sprouted (optional)
- Filtered water - 4 cups
- Coconut oil - 2 tablespoons
- Garlic, diced - 7 cloves
- Large onion - 1
- Ground buffalo or beef meat, 100% grass-fed and grass-finished - 1 pound
- Large carrots, in bite-size pieces - 2
- Large sweet potato, in bite-size cubes - 1
- Beet, diced finely - 1/3
- Medium zucchini in bite sized pieces - 1
- Apple cider vinegar to taste - 2-3 tablespoons
- Unprocessed salt or more to taste - 3/4 teaspoon
- Lots of ground black pepper to taste. Start with 1 teaspoo
- Ground cumin - 2 teaspoons
- Ground mustard, or more for a spicy taste - 2 teaspoons
- Dried oregano - 2 tablespoons
- Rosemary leaves - 1 teaspoon
- Bone Broth, filtered water, or more as needed to cover the veggies - 2 cups
- Gluten-free flour, such as garbanzo or arrowroot - 2 tablespoons
- Chopped cilantro - 1/2 cup
- If you're doing beans, rinse and drain them. Put in a large soup pot with 4 cups filtered water. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer for 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Do not add salt. When they're finished remove 1 cup of bean liquid into a small bowl and set aside for thickening later.
- If you're NOT doing beans, start here: In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt the coconut oil. Sauté the garlic and onion until they begin to soften. Add ground meat and separate it, stirring with a spatula until it is cooked and browned on all sides. Chunks of meat are fine.
- To a large soup pot, add carrots, sweet potato, beet, zucchini, vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin, mustard, oregano, rosemary, bone broth, and cooked beans if using. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer. Add the browned meat onion mixture to the soup pot. Simmer and season to taste.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of bean flour into the liquid you set aside earlier. Dissolve the flour and then add to the hot soup to thicken. Stir in chopped cilantro last.
- Serve with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Jane Barthelemy
Originally posted at: janeshealthykitchen.com