Creamy Mushroom Chicken (Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- Chicken thighs - 2 lbs
- Sliced baby portabella mushrooms - 16 oz
- Coconut cream - 1 can
- Chicken broth, enough top of the can of coconut cream after removing coconut water
- Dried thyme - 1 tsp
- Dried rosemary - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Onion powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Water - 1 tbsp
- Tapioca starch - 2 tbsp
- Chill a can of full fat coconut cream in the fridge overnight to thicken. Just prior to cooking, take can out of fridge, and turn up side down. DO NOT SHAKE. Open can. Cream and coconut water should be separated with coconut water on top. Pour or scoop out coconut water from can.
- Add in chicken broth to replace removed coconut water and fill can to top.
- Pour both cream and broth into a medium bowl, and add in spices. Whisk well to incorporate.
- Place chicken thighs into Instant Pot. Cover with sliced mushrooms.
- Cover chicken and mushrooms with coconut cream/broth mixture.
- Close and secure lid, making sure vent is sealed.
- Cook on manual setting for 8-10 minutes, and release pressure manually after timer goes off.
- Remove chicken and mushrooms from Instant Pot and set aside, leaving liquid in the pot.
- Discard half of liquid, and select Saute function. Bring remaining liquid to a slow boil.
- In a small bowl, combine water and tapioca starch, whisking until smooth.
- Whisk tapioca/water combo into remaining liquid while it boils, until smooth, thickened, and gravy like.
- Turn off Instant Pot. Plate Chicken and ladle gravy over chicken to serve.
(Note: you can also cook this in a slow cooker for 4 hours on high, and low for 6 hours. If you want a more liquidy consistency, you can skip the tapioca/water addition)
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Jessica Gaertner
Originally posted on: paleo-ish.com