- Yield: 12 regular muffins
High-Protein Savory Veggie Muffins (Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- Wet Ingredients:
- Large eggs (275 g) at room temperature - 5
- Lemon juice - 3 tablespoons
- Apple cider vinegar - 2 teaspoons
- Unprocessed salt and plenty of black pepper - 3/4 teaspoon
- Nutritional yeast (for cheese flavor) - 2 tablespoons
- Coconut oil, melted but not hot - 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup coconut butter if soft (or 113 g if hard) (If you’re mixing by hand, soften by placing the jar in hot water.)
- Dry Ingredients:
- Almond meal - 1 cup
- Baking soda - 1 teaspoon
- Ground turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground cumin - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coarsely grated carrots - 1 1/2
- Green veggies packed tight, such as, green onions, parsley, dill, basil, kale or spinach leaves, coarsely chopped - 1/2 cups
- Dry goji berries (omit if you're nightshade intolerant) - 1/3 cup
- Pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease muffin tins with coconut oil. Flour with coconut flour or almond meal. Have carrots grated and veggies chopped.
- In a food processor, add the wet ingredients: eggs, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, yeast, oil, and coconut butter. Process well until smooth. If you're mixing by hand, use softened coconut butter, and stir until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl (with a pour spout if possible), whisk together the almond meal, soda, turmeric, cumin. Add the carrots, green veggies, goji berries, pumpkin seeds, and stir to combine.
- Pour the wet egg mixture into the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl. Mix briefly and pour the batter immediately into muffin tins. Bake muffins 22 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool and solidify for 15 minutes before removing from tins.
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Jane Barthelemy
Originally posted at: janeshealthykitchen.com