Paleo Orange Chicken (Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- For the sauce:
- 3/4 Cup - 100% Orange juice
- Zest of half a medium orange
- Coconut aminos * - 1 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 tsp
- Pinch Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Avocado oil - 1/2 Tbsp
- Fresh ginger, minced
- Garlic, minced - 1 tsp
- Tapioca starch - 1 tsp
- For the chicken:
- Avocado oil - 2 Tbsp
- Tapioca starch - 3 Tbsp
- Salt and Pepper
- Chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes - 8 Ounces
- For serving:
- Medium orange, segmented - 1
- Green onion, sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Cauliflower rice
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, orange zest, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium, high-sided frying pan heat the avocado oil (for the sauce) up on medium heat. Add in the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in the orange juice mixture, stirring so the garlic/ginger mix into it. Additionally, place the 1 tsp of Tapioca starch into a medium bowl.
- Turn the temperature up to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add 2 tsp of the hot sauce into the tapioca starch and whisk until smooth. While whisking, pour the tapioca mixture into the sauce and stir in well.
- After you add the tapioca, boil the sauce for 2 minutes. Then, turn the heat down to medium/low and cook an additional 3-4 minutes until the sauce is thick and glossy. Transfer to a large bowl, cover, and let stand to thicken up more while you make the chicken.
- In a large frying pan over medium/high heat, heat the avocado oil. NOTE: you do not want to crowd the chicken, so I fry mine in 2 batches, using 1 Tbsp of oil each time. Adjust according to the size of your pan.
- While the oil heats, place the tapioca starch and a pinch of salt and pepper into a large Zip-loc bag. Add in the chicken cubes, seal the bag and toss until the chicken is coated in the starch.
- Place the chicken into the hot oil (again, don't crowd them) and cook until golden brown and crispy about 2-3 minutes per side, flipping once. If your chicken cooks too quickly, reduce the heat a little bit. Repeat with the 2nd batch of chicken if necessary.
- Once cooked, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and gently press out any excess oil. Place the chicken into the bowl with the sauce. Add in the orange segments and toss until the sauce coats everything.
- Serve over top of cauliflower rice, or white rice, garnish with green onion and sesame seeds, and DEVOUR.
Recipe from: foodfaithfitness.com