Wild Salmon Cakes w/ Sour Cream (Low-Carb, Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- Wild salmon - 10 ounces
- Large eggs, pasture raised organic - 2
- Green onions, chopped - 3
- Lemon or lime juice - 1 tablespoon
- Mixed fresh herbs, such as basil, parsley, cilantro, dill, tarragon, etc. - 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Unprocessed salt or to taste - 1/4 teaspoon
- Black pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground mustard - 1/2 teaspoon
- Almond meal - 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil for cooking - 2 tablespoons
- Lemon or lime wedges to serve
- To cook the salmon fillets, place skin-down in a large skillet with 1/4 inch filtered water. Cover and bring to a gentle boil over low heat to steam gently 3 to 4 minutes. Add a bit more water if it boils dry. Take care not to overcook or the fish will be dry. When the salmon turns a light color, put it on a plate to cool briefly, remove skin and bones, dice, and set aside.
- While the salmon is cooking, whisk the eggs in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in green onions, lemon juice, herbs, salt, pepper, mustard, and almond meal. Add diced salmon and stir with a spatula to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When a drop of water flicked into the pan sizzles, it’s ready. Use a 1/3 cup measure to make five patties and flatten them with your hands. Drop them into the heated skillet. Cook a 4 to 5 minutes on each side. This is the quickest way.
- If you’re baking them, bake at 350° F on a parchment-covered baking tray for a total of 20 minutes, 10 minutes on each side. Serve with lemon or lime wedges.
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Jane Barthelemy
Originally posted on: janeshealthykitchen.com