- Yield: 8 pancakes
Chocolate Hazelnut Pancakes (Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- Eggs - 4
- Coconut milk - 4 tbsp
- Local honey - 2-3 tbsp
- Vanilla extract - 2 tbsp
- Hazelnut flour - 1 Cup
- Coconut flour - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Raw cacao powder - 2-3 tbsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Paleo Vanilla Bean Salted Coconut Caramel
- Full-fat, not light unsweetened coconut milk - 1 (14 oz) can
- Local honey - 1/4 cup
- Coconut palm sugar - 1/4 cup
- 1-2 vanilla beans scraped of their delicious caviar!
- 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel salt (A French salt perfect for caramel!)
- Ghee or coconut oil - 1 tablespoon
Paleo Chocolate Hazelnut Pancakes:
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the coconut milk, honey, and vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, combine the hazelnut flour, coconut flour, baking powder, cacao powder, and cinnamon.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Next Heat a small ceramic non-stick frying pan (Not! Teflon it’s Bad!) over medium heat, using a regular silverware spoon ladle a heaping spoon of batter in the middle of the pan about 3 tbsp of batter.
- Tilt the pan from side to side, to spread the batter in a round pancake shape, (A spoon can be used to spread it around, but the batter likes to stick so I had better luck with the tilt method.) They should be about 4-5 inches across.
- Cook for a few minutes until you see a few bubbles on the top and the bottom starts to brown about 5 mins, depending on your stove top.
- Flip pancake with a plastic spatula and cook for an additional 1-2 mins until cooked through and brown on bottom.
- They cook much faster than you would think so don’t walk off or you might have burned pancakes.
- Serve with Ghee, Maple syrup, Strawberries and dusted with cacao powder or with Coconut Caramel! see recipe below!
Mayan Chocolate Pancakes!
- Add 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or more for spicier) and change the cinnamon in the recipe to 1 tsp to make these Mayan Chocolate pancakes!
- Serve with coconut caramel and dusted with cacao powder.
Paleo Vanilla Bean Salted Coconut Caramel:
- Cut the vanilla beans top to bottom and with a knife scrape the caviar from the beans. (Dont! throw out the beans you can put them in organic sugar to make vanilla sugar or gather them until you have a bunch and add them to vodka to make vanilla extract!)
- Combine the coconut milk, Honey, Vanilla bean caviar and coconut palm sugar in a medium saucepan on the stove top over medium-high heat. Whisk until coconut sugar starts dissolving.
- Bring just to a boil, than so it doesn’t boil over turn the heat down to medium and simmer until thickened about 15 minutes, whisking frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- When done it should be light to medium amber in color, and reduced to about 1 cup to 1 1/4 Cup.
- Turn off heat and whisk in the salt, and Ghee until smooth.
- Cool completely, and then use on these amazing pancakes, ice cream, on cake, or drizzle it over your coffee!
- Store in a glass jar with a lid in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: The Paleo Fox
Originally posted on: thepaleofox.wordpress.com