Easy Almond Fudge (Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- Ghee or coconut oil - 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice and zest of one lemon (Or substitute alternative milk) - 1/3 cup
- 1 cup sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or Swerve sweetener, or your favorite dry sweetener
- Bob’s Red Mill fine almond meal - 1 1/4 cups
- Cardamom powder to taste - 1/4 teaspoon
- Chopped almonds - 1/2 cup
- Prepare a flat pan about 8 or 9-inches square. Line with parchment paper or grease with ghee or coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk sweetener and almond meal together. In a large skillet, melt ghee. Add the sweetened almond meal and lemon juice or alternative milk. Stir and cook on medium heat. Stir continuously about 10 minutes till the mixture thickens to the consistency of bread batter, and begins leaving the edges of a pan. Add cardamom powder and remove from heat
- Whip the mixture in the pan with a spoon using round movements for a few minutes to remove any lumps. Stir in the chopped almonds.
- Transfer into the pan and smooth flat to about 1/4 inch thick
- Allow it to cool about 30 minutes. While still warm, cut into 1-inch pieces and allow to cool to room temperature. Store burfi at room temperature in an airtight container.
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Jane Barthelemy
Originally posted at: janeshealthykitchen.com