- Yield: 9 to 12 brownies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Fudgy Coconut Flour Brownies (Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- Virgin coconut oil - 3 tablespoons (42 g)
- Unsweetened chocolate, chopped - 2 ounces
- Eggs - 3 (150 g, weighed out of shell) at room temperature
- Smooth unsweetened applesauce - 1/2 cup (126 g)
- Pure vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- Coconut flour - 1/2 cup (64 g)
- Unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder - 1/2 cup (40 g)
- Coconut palm sugar - 1/2 cup (115 g)
- Xanthan gum - 1/2 teaspoon
- Kosher salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Dark chocolate dairy-free chips (optional) - 3 tablespoons (45 g)
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking dish with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside.
In a small, heat-safe bowl, place the coconut oil and unsweetened chocolate. Melt in the microwave in 30-second bursts, mixing in between until smooth, or over a double boiler. Set aside to cool briefly. In a large mixing bowl, place the eggs, applesauce, and vanilla, and beat with a handheld mixer until well-combined. Add the melted oil and chocolate mixture, and beat again until well-combined. Add the coconut flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt, and mix to combine. The batter will be thick. Add 2 tablespoons of the optional chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed throughout.
Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and, using a small offset spatula or another spreader, smooth the batter into a single, even layer. Scatter the remaining 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips evenly over the top and press gently to help them adhere to the batter.
- Place in the center of the preheated oven and bake until mostly firm to the touch, about 20 minutes. The brownies will rise in the oven and then fall as they cool. Do not overbake. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before lifting the brownies by the parchment paper and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, slice into 9 or 12 squares with a large, sharp knife.
Recipe from: glutenfreeonashoestring.com