Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cake (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Wet Ingredients:
- Cooked sweet potato (about 275 grams) - 1 1/2 cups
- Large organic orange - 1
- 1 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 2/3 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 3/4 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetene
- Vanilla extract - 1 tablespoon
- Chia seeds, ground fine - 2 tablespoons
- Coconut butter, melted (Put the jar in a pan of hot water to melt) - 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil, melted (Put jar in pan of hot water) - 1/4 cup
- Dry Ingredients:
- Pinch salt
- Decaffeinated coffee powder or crystals - 1/4 teaspoon
- Pure cacao powder - 1/2 cup
- Carob powder (optional for darker brown color) - 2 tablespoons
- Almond meal/flour - 1 1/2 cups
- Cut a circle of parchment paper to line an 8-inch round pan or springform pan. Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Peel the sweet potato, cut into cubes and place in a small saucepan with 1/2 inch of filtered water. Bring it to a boil and then turn down to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. Drain well. Allow to cool, then place into a food processor or blender.
- Zest the orange into the machine. A micro-plane grater is helpful. Save an orange slice for a garnish, if you want. Use a knife to cut away the bitter white outer pith from the orange. If your orange has seeds, slice it crossways and remove seeds from each slice with the tip of a knife. Place orange pulp in the machine.
- Add sweetener and vanilla to the machine. Process well until orange pulp is liquefied and it is smooth and creamy.
- Grind chia seeds in a hand-held coffee grinder or high-speed blender. Add to the machine and mix well. Add coconut butter, coconut oil and mix again.
- Add salt, coffee powder, cacao, and optional carob, to the mixture in the food processor. Process well. Add almond meal last and mix well again. (If you're not using a food processor, you can mix the dry ingredients by hand in a mixing bowl. In that case it's best to sift in the coffee, cacao and carob to avoid lumps. Then add the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir.)
Bake & Serve:
- Spoon batter into baking pan and spread smooth. Bake 35 minutes. Cool in the pan for at least 2 hours. It takes time for it to cool to room temperature, and then the cake will be firm. Remove to a serving plate.
- Serve with Paleo Chocolate Sauce or a slice of orange. Enjoy!
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Jane Barthelemy
Originally posted on: janeshealthykitchen.com