Paleo Apple Pie (Low-Carb, Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- 1 recipe single-crust Vegan Flaky Baked Piecrust. Or even better - use Flaky Baked Pie Crust (with eggs)
- Pie Filling:
- 6 tart apples - (6 to 7 cups when sliced)
- Lemon juice - 2 tablespoons
- Sweeten to taste - 2/3 cup Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 2 tablespoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/2 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener
- Arrowroot flour - 3 1/2 tablespoons
- Cinnamon - 2 teaspoons
- Grated nutmeg - 1/8 teaspoon
- Cloves - 1/8 teaspoon
- Unprocessed salt - 1/8 teaspoon
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- Melted coconut oil - 2 tablespoons (place jar in lukewarm water to melt oil)
- Streusel Topping:
- Shredded unsweetened coconut - 1/3 cup
- 2 tablespoons cup Just Like Sugar Brown natural chicory root sweetener, or 1 teaspoon PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1 1/2 tablespoons raw honey, or your favorite sweetener
- Unprocessed salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Grated nutmeg - 1/4 teaspoon
- Chopped nuts (soaked if possiblw - 1/3 cup (or substitute 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Prepare the single-crust Flaky Baked Piecrust, place in a 9-inch pie pan, and prebake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and increase oven temperature to 350°F.
- Core and slice the apples into very thin slices, about 1/8 inch, by hand or using the slicer of a food processor. Peeling is optional. Personally, I love to eat the peels. Very thin slices help the pie to bake evenly and the peels to soften. Place the sliced apples in a large mixing bowl and toss with the lemon juice to coat.
- Sprinkle on the apples and stir in the sweetener, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, orange zest, coconut oil, and yacón (if using). Adjust the sweetness and spices to taste. Set the apples aside to rest 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut, sweetener, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, nuts (if using), and coconut oil.
- Pour the apples into the baked crust and press tightly so they are level. Spread the streusel on top and poke holes in it with a spoon handle, to help it to sink in. Press it firmly with your hands.
- Put the pie pan on a baking sheet to catch leaks. Bake for 55 to 75 minutes. Let cool for 1 to 3 hours in the pan on a rack. Serve warm.
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Jane Barthelemy
Originally posted on: janeshealthykitchen.com