Paleo Thumbprint Cookies (Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- Cranberry Orange "Jam"
- Cranberries, fresh or frozen - 8 ounces
- 1/2 cup sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or 4 teaspoons PureLo Lo Han Sweetener by Swanson, or 1/3 cup raw honey, or your favorite sweetener
- Zest of one orange
- Pulp of the orange, white pith removed with a knife, sliced, and seeded
- Water - 1 tablespoon
- Agar flakes (or 1 teaspoon agar powder) to thicken - 1 tablespoon
- Thumbprint Cookies:
- Large eggs (c 110 grams out of the shell) - 2
- 1 cup sweetener such as Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener, or your favorite dry sweetener
- Coconut oil - 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla - 1 teaspoon
- Almond extract (optional) - 1/4 teaspoon
- Coconut butter (or 113 grams if you're weighing it solid) - 1/2 cup
- Unprocessed salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Almond meal - 1/2 cup
- Chopped pecans - 3/4 cup
Make the Cranberry Orange Jam:
- In a food processor, add the cranberries, sweetener, orange zest, and orange pulp. Process until the mixture becomes fairly liquefied, but still a bit like chunky jam.
- To thicken: In a small pan, whisk together 1/3 cup of the cranberry mixture with agar flakes or powder. Heat gently while stirring until the mixture bubbles for one minute. Then add it to the food processor and mix it in evenly but briefly. Place in a bowl or a squeeze bottle, and chill until the cookies are finished.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor add eggs, sweetener, oil, vanilla, and almond extract, if using. Process well. Add coconut butter. Process until smooth.
- Add the salt and almond meal to the food processor. Mix well.
- Add the pecans last. Pulse gently to mix them in without grinding.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes. (I use the same container.)
- Make 1-inch balls with your hands (greased with coconut oil), and place them 1-inch apart on cookie sheets. Press a thumb or finger deeply into the center of each cookie to make room for the filling.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until the bottom of the cookies is light brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely. Use a spoon or a kitchen squeeze bottle to fill the centers with cranberry "jam" Place the cookies on a serving plate and watch them disappear!
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Jane Barthelemy
Originally posted on: janeshealthykitchen.com