Red Velvet Cupcakes (Low-Carb, Dairy, Sugar & Gluten-Free)
- Wet ingredients:
- Large beet - 1, cubed and lightly steamed (170 grams)
- Large eggs - 4, at room temperature
- Tart apple - 1/4, unpeeled, cored and cut into chunks (50 grams)
- Pure vanilla extract - 1 tablespoon
- Almond extract - 1/4 teaspoon
- Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener - 1 cup, or your favorite granulated sweetener
- Coconut butter - 1/2 cup, if softened (if it's hard, you can weigh it - that's 113 grams or 8 oz)
- Dry Ingredients:
- Pure cacao powder - 3 tablespoons
- Arrowroot flour - 1/4 cup
- Almond meal - 1 cup
- Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
- Unprocessed salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 12-cupcake pan with coconut oil, and lightly dust with cacao powder.
- In a food processor fitted with the “S” blade, add the wet ingredients: beet, eggs, apple, vanilla, almond extract, sweetener, and coconut butter. Mix very well until smooth and liquefied. This may take a few minutes and your batter will be a bright fuchsia color.
- To the ingredients in the food processor, add the dry ingredients: cacao powder, arrowroot, almond meal, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Pour the batter immediately into the prepared cupcake tins. Bake cupcakes for 22 to 27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Don't peek, as they're delicate. Let cool in the pans on a rack.
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Jane Barthelemy
Originally posted on: janeshealthykitchen.com