Wild Berry Shortcakes (Dairy & Gluten-Free)
- Wild Berries with Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Instant Coconut Whipped Cream - 1 recipe
- Fresh berries of any kind. I used raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries from the Farmers’ Market. - 1 pound
- Sweetener - 2 tablespoons
- Lemon or lime juice - 1 tablespoon
- Biscuits are optional:
- Almond meal or flour - 1 1/3 cups
- Arrowroot powder (Or you can skip this and substitute an additional 1/2 cup of almond meal) - 1/2 cup
- Sweetener - 3 tablespoons
- Unprocessed salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coconut oil - 2 tablespoons
- Eggs - 2 large
Berries & Cream:
- Prepare the Instant Coconut Whipped Cream, and refrigerate.
- Clean and slice the berries into a large bowl. Sprinkle with sweetener and lemon or lime juice. Stir gently. Leave berries to marinate at room temperature as the flavors blend deliciously!
- If you're serving berries without shortcake, spoon Coconut Whipped Cream on top of the berries, sprinkle with cinnamon if desired, and serve!
Optional Biscuits for Shortcake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor or large mixing bowl, mix together the almond flour, arrowroot, sweetener, salt, and baking powder.
- Add coconut oil and egg. Mix briefly. Do not over mix - these are rustic!
- Drop the batter onto the baking sheet in rounds roughly 2 1/2-inches diameter, pressing them down a bit so they’re almost flat on top.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes until just barely golden. Remove from the oven.
Assemble the Shortcakes:
- Get out individual dessert plates. Or prepare all of them on one large plate. Slice the biscuits carefully with a serrated knife. Place the bottom portion on the serving plate. Spoon a generous portion of berries on each biscuit, and around it. Place the top half of the biscuit on the berries, or leaning to the side. Spoon a big dollop of Instant Coconut Whipped Cream on top. Serve!
Recipe posted with permission from the author
Recipe author: Jane Barthelemy
Originally posted on: janeshealthykitchen.com